Donald J. Trump acts like a 70-year old fool. I am forgiving of that, at least in principle, because the problems we’re facing aren’t his fault. Donald Trump is mentally and emotionally unable to comprehend his duties and the laws that should guide his actions, and one cannot blame the mentally ill for behaving as if mentally ill.
The problems we face, dire problems that we will spend years if not decades untangling, are ultimately being committed not by Trump but by the Trump-complicit GOP in the Senate and the House which are giving the mad king king-like reign.
Treason is a specific yet loose term, but at its heart it is the betrayal of one’s country. And the Republican Senate and House are committing treason through:
- Their refusal to investigate Russia’s tampering in our election.
- Their refusal to protect the Mueller investigation from White House tampering.
- Their enabling this White House to run roughshod over our law enforcement community with impunity.
- Their use of classified information for political purposes.
- Their air cover in all things for a man mentally unfit to serve in the highest office in the land.
Elections matter. 2018 matters.